Sunday, March 27, 2005

The Passing of a Giant

Up to this point, I have been mostly writing here with an eye toward providing posts that would be entertaining or interesting to my kind audience. However, this time I am writing out of purely selfish motivations. Recently, on Thursday March 17, one of the truly great writers of modern science fiction and fantasy passed away at the well earned age of 93. It was my great pleasure to have read a number of the works of Andre Norton. I read her books mostly as a young teenager. Indeed, she wrote with that age group specifically in mind. The second science fiction book that I ever read was one of hers. It was called "The Zero Stone". It was the first book that I checked out of my Junior High School library. I enjoyed it so much that I became a regular library patron. All the librarians knew me by name! I found a picture of the original hard cover book that actually looks quite familiar to me, even after many years:



Her books really captured my imagination and led me to read the stories of many other authors of science fiction and fantasy in later years. I owe her a debt, and to her I say, with fond remembrance, thank you and farewell!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Thanks for introducing her to us. I haven't read from her but from what you say, I am sure her books are great. I like the selfish posts better. Afterall, we want to read about you and your thoughts.

Pantea

3/28/2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger David said...

Pantea, thank you for your comment, this post means a lot to me. Her books are quite good, but as I said, they are written mostly for young people. Still, I think that many adults also enjoy them. It has been many years since I read one of her books. I should try to do that. Maybe I could recapture some of that youthful excitement! I will try to be a bit more selfish with my future posts. :)

3/29/2005 2:40 AM  
Blogger Jamak said...

Thank you for introducing this creative woman to us. There world needs more people like her who would bring joy to children who would remember them years later.

3/29/2005 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's sweet of you to write about things that you like or that are very dear to your heart :) We all seem to enjoy that :)
I liked your post on science fiction for teenagers :)... and not only :)
Manuela

3/29/2005 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture of the book cover is very cute, too, it makes me want to read the book :)
Manuela

3/29/2005 8:19 PM  
Blogger David said...

Khodadad, I do remember The Beast Master! :) I am actually surprised that you have read some of Andre's books. I am curious, were they translated into Persian, or did you read them in English? I am not familiar with Michael Ende. I will look him up. Stay tuned for more selfish posts! :)

Jamak, you are welcome. I agree, the world could always use more people like Andre Norton!

Manuela, thanks for your comments. :) Andre Norton's books are available in many book stores and public libraries if you are interested.

3/30/2005 2:24 AM  
Blogger David said...

Khodadad, I feel slightly foolish that I did not know who Michael Ende was. I have actually seen the movie "The Neverending Story" several times over the years. It is a very touching film. I read up on Michael Ende and "Momo" in Wikipedia. The synopsis of "Momo", and its indictment of consumerism, certainly resonates with my personal beliefs!

3/31/2005 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home