Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Some Lighter Elements

Since my last three posts have been serious, I have been thinking that it is about time that I lightened things up a bit. I went to the Indianapolis Zoo a few weeks ago and I would like to share some of my pictures. Maybe it was just the early Spring weather, but all the animals seemed really lazy or very bored. Of course, it may just be that Zoo life is so exciting for them that they all decided to take a break and just chill out. They probably all had little stampedes in their enclosures earlier in the day, before I got there! Well, anyway, here are some pictures and my impression of what these animals had on their minds. Enjoy. :)


Now, were is that handler with my hay bale!?


Hmmm, should I drink or should I poop?


Ahhh, a comfy rock bed and a dead tree to put my paw up on, that's the life!


After walking around the Zoo, I visited the Botanical Gardens that are right next to the Zoo. They have a tropical butterfly exhibit every year that begins in the Spring and runs through early Fall. The Gardens obtain various colorful and attractive butterflies, which arrive in the dormant chrysalid state (the metamorphic period during which a catapillar transforms into a butterfly). These are placed in several transparent enclosures within a large greenhouse. When the butterflies hatch, the Garden's staff open the enclosures to allow the butterflies to fly about the greenhouse for the enjoyment of the guests. I came rather early to the butterfly exhibition, so most of the really big and beautiful ones hadn't hatched out yet. However, the small ones can be quite pretty, too. One of these, for some reason, found me to be an agreeable perch. Trying to adjust and focus my camera with only one hand was a bit challenging, but happily it turned out well. :)


I wish this fool would hurry up and take my picture, I want to get back to my bowl of sliced fruit!

13 Comments:

Blogger Jamak said...

These pictures are so adorable, you must've had a blast. I like the Elephant one and the writing below it. Too funny:) I love going to the zoo, it's a blast. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

5/04/2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

Jamak, I'm glad that you enjoyed my pictures and my humor, as well. :)

5/05/2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger Sima said...

Hi david,
Thanks for sharing these pivtures. I love the expression on the giraffe's face. She (I just decided that it is a she!) is so beautiful. The butterfly must have known that you have an affinity for her kind! The elephant's comment sounds like something G.W.B. would say on a daily basis! Except that that poor trapped elephant is probably much smarter :-)
Nice pictures.
Have a great weekend

5/06/2005 1:25 AM  
Blogger David said...

Sima, you are welcome, I'm glad that you liked the pictures. :) The giraffe is beautiful, and I think you are right about her gender. There is no doubt in my mind that the elephant is smarter that Georgie! :)

Seriously, regarding the elephants at this zoo, they are pretty well treated. Their handlers try to keep them busy with activities so they don't get too bored. Some of them give rides to visitors and they sometimes give performances in a special little stadium. One of the elephants was even painting pictures a couple of years ago. I watched her do this on a zoo TV show. She would choose her own colors and create interesting abstractions. Her paintings were sold in the zoo gift shop. Elephants really are very intelligent creatures! However, I agree with you that they would be happiest if they were left in the wild. It is sad that the wild places of the Earth are disappearing so rapidly.

5/06/2005 1:16 PM  
Blogger Dalia M. said...

WoOoOoOoOoOoW...
very nice pictures.

5/10/2005 3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice and refreshing pictures.

5/10/2005 12:17 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dalia, thanks for visiting. I'm glad that you liked the pictures. :)

Koozeh, I appreciate your compliment! :) Thanks!

5/10/2005 11:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks Khodadad. The Jardin Botanique looks like a very nice Gardens! However, I looked very hard at your photo and I couldn't see a butterfly. If there is one there, it is very well camouflaged!

I think that animals in zoos are pretty calm. Probably because they are well fed. However, animals in the wild will do what it takes to survive, and sometimes what they do can be quite hard to watch, at least for me! Are you familiar with the studies of chimps by Jane Goodall? Before her research, chimps were thought to be very peaceful creatures living in harmony with nature and with each other. However, she observed groups of male chimps having little wars with each other, sometimes fighting to the death. She also saw cases of infanticide which included cannabalism!

5/13/2005 2:36 AM  
Blogger David said...

Khodadad, thanks for the extra pictures. I thought that looked like a pitcher plant in the previous picture. Well, I could definitely see the butterflies in these pictures! They are very pretty. The large one in the tree looks like a Blue Morpho (check out this link). That type is also exhibited in Indianapolis. I see that the butterflies enjoy bowls of sliced fruit in France, as well. Hmmm, as France is so famous for its cullinary delights, I'm surprised the butterflies aren't fed little fruit pastries or confections. :)

5/15/2005 2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, since you both like butterflies so much, I thought you might be interested in this article: "Butterflies 'follow flightpaths'" (although you might have probably read it).

Here's the link :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4414377.stm

5/15/2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger David said...

Manuela, thanks for the link. Actually, I read BBC Science articles every day. It is one of my favorite sites for news about scientific discoverys. I remember reading this article. It was very interesting. It seems that butterflies may be smarter than people thought. :)

5/16/2005 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you read it :) However, I've never really read the science section from BBC news until now, so I'm so glad you mentioned it, it is really interesting :) Thanks :)

5/17/2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

The bear is really cute, and so is the butterfly. Great photos! Thanks!

6/03/2005 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home