Thursday, June 07, 2007

Poetic Naïveté

Hello my friends. I have been away from my blogospheric home for more than two months now. "Bad Host!", as my friend Melantrys might say. ;) I suppose that my absence can be traced to an ebb in my creative energies combined with simply spending my blogging time out and about visiting and commenting. Well, as I do not wish to be a perpetual vagabond, always enjoying the fruit of other people's labor, while sharing none of my own, its about time that I hosted a gathering here at my abode. We shall sing songs and play games! We shall eat and drink to our heart's content! A bit later, cake and ice cream will be served! Ahhhh... sorry, I guess I got a bit carried away there. ;)

Last night I was going through a large stack of very old papers and memorabilia when I came across some poems that I had written for one of my Junior High English classes. I knew that I had the poems, but I hadn't seen them in years. Some of you may remember my little
Poetic Interlude from July of last year. These poems are much simpler, and probably more open and honest, as the thoughts of 12 year old child are prone to be. They are not monuments of literary accomplishment (well, neither was my Interlude ;) ), however they were fun to read once again, and they reminded me of the wide-eyed wonder with which I once beheld the world. Here now are a few of those poems. I hope you will enjoy them.


The Sea

The wonderful sea:
Tides rolling, never stopping,
Forever changing.


The Sky

The beautiful sky:
A heavenly paradise,
Always to behold.


Rain

The rain is falling,
Little drops of nature's tears,
Blinding to my eyes.


Birds on High

Soaring, soaring, wild and free,
Above the treetops they were meant to be.
Flying, flying, high above the land,
Even they could be a reckless band.


Froggly

A frog may be lumpy, bumpy, and ugly,
But he fits in the environment quite snuggly.
He creates a food chain all of his own,
Even though sometimes he might be prone,
To eat things that are mostly buggly.

10 Comments:

Blogger Naj said...

:)
Good to have you back David. You may not have been posting, but I loved your visits and informative comments. Please don't stop visiting.

I loved the froggy ending, very charming

6/08/2007 7:16 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Naj,

Thanks, its good to be back. :) I like the froggy poem best too. I smiled when I read it again after so many years. :) I promise to continue visiting. Your posts are interesting and they really make me think!

6/08/2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger Morty said...

Welcome back David and such a nice comeback...
I liked your poems very much and it did remind me of the Haiku that I post in my blog since they r short and express a state the poet wants to ilustrate.

keep on going...

6/16/2007 3:19 AM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks Kyubai. :) I have always found Haiku to be a very interesting poetic form. Writing such a short poem can be harder than a long one, it seems to me. Painting a picture in the readers mind, or evoking a strong emotion, can be very difficult with only three lines. Thanks for your encouragement! :)

6/17/2007 1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well David, you've always been one of the bright ones I guess! I won't be able to say such words!!! I have aged by accident I guess ;-)

6/27/2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Omid, you are too kind! ;) Well, if you liked these poems, simple as they were at age 12, maybe I'll have to dig out some better ones written when I was a bit older. :) Hey, you are not so old! There may be some poetry in you yet! :)

6/28/2007 3:09 AM  
Blogger Naj said...

Hi David,

Perhaps
http://www.offscreen.com/biblio/phile/essays/women_of_iran/>this
can answer to your question

Cheers

7/01/2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Naj said...

sorry about the broken link.

7/01/2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Naj said...

Thanks for the birthday fashion. I tried to go out in it ;)

7/17/2007 11:21 PM  
Blogger David said...

You are welcome Naj. :) Darn those morals police and their long coat policies! ;)

7/18/2007 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home